[pct-l] Priority mail re-forwarding

I have been assuming that I could bounce a priority mail package this summer
and, if I didn't open it, could bounce it on farther down the line, so to
speak.  I have heard of this being done routinely, but have also heard of
some postal clerks denying this option.  To be armed with the regulation
allowing this, I turned to my trusted local postal worker who handles all my
mail during my hikes each summer.

This is what she found...

Domestic Mail Manual, 507.2.2.2:

"Re-forwarding.  The address (but not the name) may be changed and the mail
reforwarded as many times as necessary to reach the addressee."

Ah, "to reach the addressee..."

She pointed out to me that a postal clerk might well allow us to re-forward,
but could - based on you standing there at the counter - say, "Nope.  It
reached you."

I'm sure that in most cases it won't be a problem, or that ingenious ways
around this could be found, but hikers should be aware of the exact wording
of the reg, should a question arise.

Dr Bob