Whitney RE: [pct-l] a hike on pct question about snow

I assume you mean starting at Hwy 138, not 137 that is out in the San
Joaquin Valley.

I would guess the trails will not be clear in late May. Snow could become an
issue near Olancha Peak. As the guidebook suggests, if things get too much
there you can bail out early.

As for not climbing Whitney, I would guess you'll have more snow dropping
from Trail Crest towards Lone Pine than you will climbing the peak trail.
The ridges get more wind and sun exposure so snow doesn't accumulate as it
does in the canyons. Of course, right now there's lots of snow, and the peak
trail probably has lots of exposed snow slopes.

There's good Whitney area info at the Whitney Portal Store bulletin board at
www.whitneyportalstore.com . Read the posts before posting there, as there
are trip reports even from last week. BTW, a hiker has been missing on
Whitney since late February.

AsABat