[pct-l] Desert water

Starting the trail during ADZ weekend is a good news, bad news story. The
good news is that most of the water caches gear up for that weekend and put
out lots of water. The bad news is there are lots of thirsty hikers on the
trail and, especially if the weather gets hot, large water caches can be
drained in a day.

I recommend relying on natural water sources, and look at water caches as a
little kindness. For example, carry enough water to get to the next natural
source, but if running a little low, or getting a little thirstier than
expected, enjoy a quart or two. Unfortunately, some hikers rely fully on
caches and take a gallon or two. In the past there have been stories of some
using them to bathe. (Maybe I can fill my portable hot tub <g>.)

Most caches are not absolutely essential with a little planning. Even down
south, it's usually more than a long day between on-trail water. Cook at
water, drink as much as possible, and fill your pack with water for hiking
during the cooler evening and morning hours. Don't forget electrolytes and
salts. Still, the caches can be a real joy when hot and thirsty. Just DON'T
RELY ON THEM for survival. And God bless the cachers!

I struggled with whether or not to include water caches on the PCT Water
Reports website. The general consensus was hikers want to know what is
available and most wanted it included, so I've done so - mostly in case
someone is desperately low on water. I have tried to include only those
caches that are shown to be maintained with some regularly (not that they
will always have water). There are a few places where other trail magic is
very common, but I leave that out. There are often more smaller caches - a
gallon or two near a road crossing - that I do not include as I cannot
confirm they are maintained, let alone their small size (not that they
aren't a blessing).

I would also suggest that if you are concerned about water supplies,
consider starting your hike a week early and get a ride back from Warner
Springs (see the ADZPCTKO website for a ride board to help with this), or
hang around San Diego and start hiking a week later.

In any event, HYOY, and enjoy your hike.

AsABat
www.4jeffrey.net/pctwater