[pct-l] ADZPCTKO before or after border walk.

If you hike from the border to Lake Morena on
Saturday, you'll miss almost everything at the Kick
Off!  I'd recommend hiking Campo-to-Morena on
Thursday.  That way, you'll be able to attend
everything at the Kick Off on Friday, Saturday, and
Sunday.  Lots of people hike into the Kick Off and
then continue hiking north after the big weekend.

Others attend the Kick Off, then get a ride to the
border and begin their hike after the weekend.
Whichever option you choose, there will be other
hikers around you.

Regarding being in the back of the rush into Warner
Springs --- that's not really a concern unless you
plan on resupplying at the little convenience store in
Warner Springs.  Just send a maildrop and your worries
disappear.  There will still be rooms available at the
resort.  That place is huge.

It sounds like you think you should start your hike
earlier than the Kick Off.  If that's what you want to
do, by all means start earlier!  Post your name on the
ride board on the kickoff website, and you can easily
find a ride back to Lake Morena.

My recommendation, however, would be to start your
hike no earlier than the Kick Off weekend.  Unless
you're experienced at hiking in the snow at high
elevations and over steep icy passes, try to push your
Kennedy Meadows date ahead.  Beginning your hike at
Campo any earlier than late April puts you at Kennedy
Meadows in early June.  That's too early to safely
traverse the Sierra (my opinion, others have different
views).

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

--- "M. Stewart Sowers" <mstewartsowers@yahoo.com>