[pct-l] Scissors Crossing phobia

I can sympathize.

When I "hit" Scissors Crossing, I had spent 6 hours hiking from
Cuyamaca, down into Oriflame and around Iron Mountain in the first heat
wave of the year (early Spring). The trail down into the canyon was
steep, deeply rutted and covered with fist sized loose rocks. By the
time I got to the water tank, I was worked.

I could see Scissors from the trail just past the water tank and, as it
was still before noon, I was heartened by the sight. Just within a
spittin' distance across the Borrego! Or so I thought...

The trail doesn't just `round Iron Mountain, it practically
circumnavigates it (hyperbole here)! The trail actually starts to add
distance between you and the Crossing before it heads toward it. And
then when it finally does head toward the road (and that blessed water
cache!), it's a slog through deep desert sand...

The temps were around 105 when I stumbled across The Borrego. It was 3pm
when I got to Scissors. After 16 miles of difficult walking down the
canyon and across the desert, I took one look up the switchbacks of the
San Felipes and my body refused to go further. My plan was to at least
get up to the ridge of the hills and find one of the small perches to
camp on that I was told about. There wasn't a chance that I was getting
further than across the highway to beg a ride from some off-roaders back
to my truck at Barrel Spring.

I didn't want to do the San Felipes in another 100+ degree day, so I
camped at Barrel and hooked up with Cpt. Bivy for a walk from Warner
back to Barrel the next day.

But if you started at Scissors fresh, the San Felipes can be done easily
in a day! If you're not a purist, you could slack pack to Barrel Spring
from Scissors!

When I finally got back to Scissors and crossed the San Felipes, I did
it in two days, camping at 3rd Gate. I could have easily kept going, but
I had the one weekend to do it and I needed two consecutive days to make
it to highway 74. I wouldn't recommend camping at 3rd Gate. It ain't
pretty and it's like a cat litter box around there...

Michael Saenz ,  Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE          MVE    Institutional         MVE    S t u d i o
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m