[pct-l] Who is SWITCHBACK

SWITCHBACK,
        I know you are trying to have fun with your posts and so do I. I
learned this from you.  When  I first started visiting the PCT-L forum, your
posts always stood out and were fun to read. You are way up on me when it
comes to hiking time.  I didn't get out of the Marine Corps until 1968, went
back to school, got into business, started a family and did not get into
backpacking until the late 70's when our two sons joined the boy scouts.  I
have been associated with the scouts as a high adventure leader ever since.
We usually do 1-2 Grand Canyon hikes and 1-2 high Sierra treks each year.  A
few years ago I caught the JMT fever and been doing the JMT 1-2 times a
year -  once with the scouts, the other times, solo.  PACKBACKING IS A LOT
LIKE SEX.  Once bitten, forever hooked.   I share your feeling about
hunting.  I have not used a firearm since getting out of the Marine Corps in
1968.  I would have a hard time putting a beautiful animal into my sights
and pulling the trigger just for the fun of it.  I love animals too much.  I
rather observe them than hunt them.  Now at 65, I'm just a worn out, busted
up, over the hill ex- Marine trying to keep on backpacking for as long as I
can, but it's getting harder every year.  I'm still okay on the straights &
downs, but struggle with the ups.  Either   the lungs are getting less
efficient or the trails are getting steeper & the passes are getting higher.
    Maybe it;s not me.  Maybe the Sierra Nevada is still uplifting.
     That's it, Switchback!  It's not me, the mountains are getting higher.
    I remember 25-30 years ago  Whitney was listed at 14,494 ft.  Now, it is
listed as 14,497.  That is proof that uplifting is causing my problem, not
old age afterall.     I am so happy & excited.  I think I'll grab my  pack
and go to the High Sierra.       OOOps, I forgot about the catheter  and the
intravenous feeder.
     I ruptered my disc in the Grand Canyon  in 2002 and still have not
recovered fully.  My right foot is still partially numb and I don't have
full power in my right leg.-In January I almost killed myself skiing at
Mammoth.  I'm presently trying to recover from reconstructive shoulder
surgery.
So you thought you had problems?  You ain't got problems, Switchback!  I'm
the one with the problem.  It's called RUNNING OUT OF TIME PROBLEM.
So now since I only have the use of my right arm and can't do much of
anything except punch the keyboard,  I seem to be spending most of my time
surfing the web and licking my wounds.      I know some of the guys are
probably thinking, "hope he recovers quickly so gets off the web."
    Switchback,  you will never figure out backpacking.  I gave up years
ago.  It's like trying to figure out women.  It can't be done, because
backpacking and women are constantly changing and are too unpredictable.
There is no constant that you can go by.   Just adjust to whatever mood
mother nature or women are in at any particular time.
        Keep up the humor.   Hope to see you on the trail someday.]
                JMT Reinhold
                 Your worn out, banged up, wounded trail companion.---