[pct-l] More on June hikes...

You can't really count on decent weather until mid-July. June generally has
rain, and very often snow above 6,000 ft.
Rule of thumb is to expect rain and snao at higher levels until about June
15th and can still be pretty cool until mid-July.

This year we have had higher than average snowfall near Mt Hood and I expect
a late meltoff, which will make crossing the Muddy Fork and the Sandy darn
near impossible without a lot of luck. The Muddy fork seasonal bridge will
be in just before Memorial Day but that doesn't mean it's going to stay put,
and the Sandy River has no bridge, and hikers have died crossing it.

Best case scenario, a very wet trip, worst, a dangerous one. If you're
looking for beautiful, wait till august.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com

--