[pct-l] alternates

The Glacier Peak Detour was in much better shape last year than it was
in 2004. I took it and most of the brush is gone (except some patches
along the Indian Creek trail and the east side of Little Giant Pass).
Those thru-hikers who took the original PCT in 2005 instead of the
detour were very fortunate to have one of the lowest snow accumulations
in history in that part of the Cascades. That made crossing the Suiattle
River without a bridge possible in September. WE ARE HAVING HUGE AMOUNTS
OF SNOW THIS YEAR IN THE CASCADES. Do not assume that you will be able
to cross the Suiattle this September. As "Suge" noted in one of his
e-mails, it is too dangerous in a normal year. Take the detour instead.

For an account of the detour, including tips on how to take four miles
off the distance by crossing the White River, see

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct2005/index.html

and

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/pct2005/white_river_crossing.html

Tom