[pct-l] purity

CAVEAT: It is YOUR hike; go where and when you want by whatever route you
want.

Sure, weather conditions, safety concerns, and natural disasters can force
you off the "official" guidebook route. If that happens, can you still be
pure? Sure. You didn't put all that snow there; you didn't create the flood
that took the bridges and made the stream crossings impossible or deadly;
you didn't convince the USFS or NPS to close that section of trail because
of some @#$ endangered species or an active fire. Of course, you could
always stop, enjoy a protracted lay-over, and resume when the underlying
cause is negated, but that could be expensive in both time and money. What
price purity?

That said, there are several beautiful alternate routes along the PCT. In
some places, IMO, these really should be the official route instead of what
is. (But no one asked me before they designated the official route). Some go
to water, others to views or campsites, others to egress points, others take
you around obstacles on the trail or let you avoid meaningly elevation
change or crowded tourist-laden areas. I've been on some and missed others.
Never was I disappointed by my choice.

I say again: It is YOUR hike; go where and when you want by whatever route
you want.

Wandering Bob