[pct-l] purity

Oh, I disagree, though there are always exceptions to the rule. For me,
it wasn't always about hiking the entire PCT, every step of the way. I
just didn't know if I was going to be a purist for hundreds upon
hundreds of miles. Whenever the question of skipping trail came up I
sided with taking the trail cause I couldn't decide if I would later
care. Eventually, I just became a purist because I had been one for so
long just to be safe.

People hiked with me for hundreds of miles without knowing that I was a
purist, and I'd bet some people are surprised to read this now. There is
a spectrum of purity, and the more vocal ones (ahem - greyhound) are
always going to be the ones that set the reputation.

All that said, I do think the terms could use renovation. I'd rather not
say I am a pure hiker - that part is BS. I'd rather have something less
biased, like a "completionist" or "100%-ist" or something, though that
would make everybody else a non-completionist...that doesn't
work...maybe an "obsessivist?" No, that term doesn't really work either,
cause not all "purists" are actually obsessed. Huh. Perhaps the best way
to say it is, somebody who'd rather not skip trail along the way.

-patchers