[pct-l] re: Binoculars

I carried a pair of Olympus 8X25 that I got for about $80 off of Sierra
Trading Post.  They worked well and weighed about 8 oz.  I think that you
should definitely go with the binoculars - monoculars are okay for looking
at a perched bird but try finding one that is in flight and identifying
it.  If I hadn't had binoculars I would have missed my prairie falcons
near Donner Pass. You will likely trash the binos, that's why I went
cheap.  I don't think they need to be waterproof for the pct.  It's so dry
that condensation isn't a problem, my pair never fogged. Good birding
tips: hang out at Barrel Springs for a few hours and watch the really good
stuff in the trees.  Some place in Northern California you walk by these
ponds near a dam???  You'll get an American White Pelican or two, plus
other nice waterbirds... green heron...  And mountain quail everywhere...
southern cal, northern cal.  Very cool birds... I could go on for ever.  I
am envious. Have an awesome trip!
Christy