[pct-l] Oregon Winter Snow

This is shaping up to be a possible big snow year in Oregon.  January
precipitation in Portland has been double the norm with two days of
heavy rain predicted to finish off the month.  This is falling as
snow up on the PCT.  Timberline Lodge has a 164" base and I would
guess they'll add another foot in the next 24 hours.  Conditions at
the top of the Magic Mile ski lift (7000') were particularly nasty
early Saturday morning with 14 degree temps and max wind gusts of 48
mph.  Web cam and stats at:

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/conditions/conditions.shtml

Santiam Pass (where the PCT crosses the highway near Sisters, Oregon
looks like:

http://www.tripcheck.com/Pages/CCview.asp?Num=1&cam1=605

I may be looking for some low elevation hikes for early in the season.

Wayne Kraft