[pct-l] Getting Started; San Diego to Campo

For the eighth year, it will be my pleasure to help hikers get off to a good start in San Diego.  I will meet hikers at the airport, train or bus station and provide a place to stay for a night or so, and get them to the trailhead at Campo.

Usually, hikers arrive in SD while I am at work, 7:00am to 2:15pm.  Sometimes they wait for me or sometimes they take the bus to my house.  I will not let late night arrivals stand around at the airport. Most hikers spend a night or two with me, during which time we can usually get to REI or A-16 for last minute gear, and get to a grocery store.  I always have Coleman fuel and alcohol.  Hikers who need a specific fuel cannister need to tell me which one and how many.  I have received numerous packages sent to hikers from gear vendors or advance packages sent by themselves.  If you don't have an alcohol stove, I will make you one.

The best way to start is to be at the monument at first light, 5:40am.  This requires leaving the house at 4:30 after a 4:00am wakeup call.  I do not mind the early departures at all, having done this over a hundred times.  I can leave the monument at 5:45 and be in my classroom ready to teach at 7:00.

The average year brings me forty hikers, and it gets very busy the week of ADZPCTKO.  I am one of the organizers of the event, so I will be at the Lake Morena campground from Friday afternoon till Sunday noon.  My van carries 6 hikers and gear plus the driver. When it's full, it's full.  First come, first to be served.  If you are late making arrangements, I will do my very best to accommodate you, but many in the past have had to wait a day for their ride to the trail due to the van being full.  Most hikers will be in their bags on the floor.  I have an RV and a pool, and no yard whatsoever, so there is no place to pitch your tent.  There is usually a screening of Weathercarrot's remarkable DVD evry evening.  I encourage all hikers to register with the ADZPCTKO 2006 website, as soon as it is up and running. It has always been the policy of the ADZPCTKO, and my personal policy as well, that we do not accept money from hikers.  For some hikers, a hundred bucks is a small thing, for others, twenty bucks is a lot.  On the trail, we are all equals, so we accept no money from hikers.  Your generosity may be expressed next year by making a contribution to ADZPCTKO 2007.

Due to health considerations of a family member, I must limit my accommodations to non-smokers.  If you are a smoker, even if you only smoke outdoors, please do not ask to stay with me.

If you need the services I provide, please respond by email.  Please do not make me a backup or contingency plan as you will most likely be denying a spot to another hiker.  New to my experience this year are the seven hikers who have already contacted me prior to posting this message.  This may be an indication of a large membership in the Class of 2006, or the wide popularity of Yogi's book.  Hi, Yogi, save me a copy of your updated manual.  Almost every one of my hikers consulted your book across my kitchen table.  So far this year, I have scheduled trailhead runs for April 16, 19, 22 and 28 with more to come as my list grows. Good luck to the Class of 2006.

Hike on !  Bob Riess at the trailhead.
ADZPCTKO est 1999