[pct-l] Hiking alone aid

It seems to me that hiking alone does present some technical
difficulties in early Spring.  One can get into trouble on snow in a
real hurry, and sometimes there is no good way to avoid taking the
chance.  And crossing streams early in the season can be
problematical.  Very often another person may not prevent the
problem, but can help you out once yer there.

Since I prefer solo hiking, one thing I do is carry 500 feet of 500
pound test Spectra fishing / kite line.  That gives me 250 working
feet.  Very often it's good for balance crossing streams, and can
limit exposure crossing some snowfields.

It's about the size of yer basic cotton string, weighs 7 ounces.  One
also needs 2 smaller metal carabiners for handles.  It's not the
answer to everything, but has been a big, big help on
occasion.  Wouldn't have made it across some streams without
it.  Wouldn't have tried.  And I walk easier across some snow fields
knowing I won't go all the way down.

Obviously it won't do for a leader fall, but those aren't an issue
for hikers.  Or shouldn't be.  I regard it as a small price to pay
for at least some insurance in some questionable conditions.