[pct-l] section times

I think that doing both is easily doable. It is only a matter of time and of
avoiding serious foot problems like blisters. I vote for August and early
September as the best times. In August, wildflowers are still out, serious
snow is gone, and most mosquitoes are gone. In late September, you have a
high chance of being snowed on. The hiking population is much lower after
Labor Day.  I would do the TRT first. The TRT is very pretty, but the JMT
has the more spectacular scenery. If you do the JMT first you may be bored
by the TRT hiking. The TRT is gentler and would serve as good conditioning
for the high passes on the JMT. If you forget something, injure something,
or decide extended hiking is not for you, it is easier to get out from the
TRT than from most of the JMT; all those things become slightly less likely
as you hike more. It will take less time to walk the TRT, and you might want
to start with something a little less ambitious and use what you learn about
yourself and your needs to select the right things to bring (probably less)
on the second longer hike. Before final planning, you probably should check
into the availability of resupply points on the JMT. I believe that Red's
Meadow and Vermillion Resort and John Muir Ranch all close for the winter. I
don't know the exact dates. (If you have friends to bring in resupplies or
are planning to go out on the East side of the Sierras, this doesn't matter
much.)

Everyone is different and you will have to make your own decision, but I
hope this gives you some things to think about. Enjoy your hiking!

Phil

P.S. I have walked all of the JMT, but only part of the TRT.