[pct-l] slight change to Canada Immigration policy

The US is gradually phasing in new requirements to enter the US from any country.  Mags is correct --- a driver's license and birth certificate have been enough identification to enter the US from Canada for many years.  However, very soon passports will be required.

  In 2007, travelers entering the US from Canada by air or sea will be required to have passports.

  In 2008, the passport requirement will be extended to people entering by land.

  If you're hiking in 2006 or 2007, my recommendation is to get a passport and have it with you, even though it's not required until 2008.  Like Marge said, it makes crossing the border easy --- virtually no questions from the US border patrol.

  yogi
  www.pcthandbook.com

Paul Magnanti <pmags@yahoo.com> wrote:
  The largest problem you'll have is going into the US.
Be sure to have notarized copy of your birth
certificate in addition to a driver's license.

Having a passport takes the the place of the other
two.

Many PCT hikers have their passport or birth
certificate mailed to Stehekin.

I doubt you'll see any Canadian officials. Though, if
you do go to Hope, there is a good chance you'll get
rub on Mountie tattoos! Ask Matt Geis (Iron Chef).