[pct-l] Damn, we need a lightweight baking oven

Mouse

Totally.  Baking is very doable.  It takes a little time, a little fuel and
a little luck but we have been sucessful in making brownies. pizza  and even
buns from scratch.  I would start with the easy stuff.  Get a nice basic
package of brownie mix.  Grease a no stick light weight backpacking frying
pan and mix the brownies according to instructions with some modifications.
If you look you can find some that just need water and an egg.  The egg can
be ommited (cake is a little denser) or use some powdered egg.  cover the
frying pan with a bit of foil and rotate the frying pan over your pop can
stove (I use three tent pegs to hold my pot steady...not so easy if you are
using rocks.)  some people call the technique walking the pot around the
clock.  the stove doesn't disperse heat very widely.  watch for bubbles to
form on the top of the brownie and then flip it over like a pancake and bake
on other side.  Lemme tell you, your  back country buddies (and complete
strangers) will be swarming even if it means that they have to listen to
your lame Ray Jardine quotes.  There is going to be little talk about corn
pasta after biting in to these babkies  (Of course I personally believe it
is impolite not to share)  Be nice

When you scarf these babies down with tea after swimming through Sierra snow
and slush few things could be finer.   Most anything that can be baked can
be adaped to this method.  There is a down side.  You do use a lot of fuel,
and it is time consuming...but we are talking the smell of brownies in the
back country.  know what I am talkin about?  brownies...and yes the brownies
can be adapted...

of course there is pizza and cinnamon buns but that is for the serious
baker.

hike on

Brian (aka trouble)