[pct-l] Re: weather resistent camera

Tortoise,
I recently purchased a Pentax OptioWPi for my '06 PCT hike. It's a bit pricey (upwards of $300) but a very nice digital camera for hiking. It's compact and very pocket-sized, 6.0 megs. Weight:4.5 oz. Waterproof down to 5' - not that I plan to swim with it in the desert.  However, that should make it pretty dust and rain resistent. You can let it do all the thinking or be creative and do your own composition although the manual focus is somewhat limited.  It has an interesting panorama feature for when you put your pix on the computer.
T-