[pct-l] ULA Helix Ice Axe

Thought I'd weigh in on the
questions/concerns/comments about my Helix Ice Axe:

This is a NON-TECHNICAL AXE. This means it was
designed for non-technical applications...Specifically
for hiking...NOT MOUNTAINEERING, NOT ICE CLIMBING, NOT
GLACIER TRAVEL. One should keep that in mind when
thinking of its use and application.

As for strength, it is plenty strong for its intended
use. I will be posting actual test data shortly on the
ULA website. I have decided to not subject it to UIAA
standards due to its NON-TECHNICAL use. UIAA ratings
are important for gear with an intended TECHNICAL
purpose, but I believe  those standards are not
necessary for the Helix's intended NON-TECHNICAL use.

I have used other brands of non-technical axes for
hiking applications and I feel the Helix improves upon
the design and ultimate function. Other lightweight
non-technical axes have a very light head and a
heavier shaft. This sucks for chopping steps, etc as
the head is lighter than the shaft which really messes
with swing weight. The head on the Helix is heavier
than the shaft so the swing weight is MUCH more
focused and results in a consistent arc when swung.
Better whether chopping steps or digging a cathole in
pine duff:). In addition, all the aluminum components
(head, pick, adze, end spike) are HARD anodized. Most
others are not. While this adds weight, it also
increases strength and durability.

Lastly, if you missed it beforehand the Helix is a
NON-TECHNICAL ice axe.

If you have any other ???'s, please feel free to
contact me off list. I'll have plenty of axes and
crampons at the KOP, so come by and touch, feel,
taste. Happy Holidays to all.

Brian Frankle
ULA-Equipment