[pct-l] celebrities on the trail / William O. Douglas

Personally, I could care less if William O. Douglas was actually a bona fide thru-hiker or not...

He was a supreme (no pun intended) advocate for wilderness preservation, an "ardent environmentalist", and a "prolific writer off the bench"...  He also had a "passion for civil liberties" and human rights...  He was "brilliant, often controversial"...  He was a man somewhat ahead of his time for many of his ideas...

ALL of us (thru-hikers, mere backpackers or horsemen, and even ones that have never laid eyes upon wilderness) are better off from his serving on the Supreme Court from 1939 to 1975...

Some of his writings include "Of Men and Mountains", "My Wilderness: the Pacific West", and "Muir of the Mountains" to "America Challenged", "The Right of the People", "The Three Hundred Year War: A Chronicle of Ecological Disaster", and "International Dissent: Six Steps Toward World Peace"...  See http://www.alibris.com (or your favorite book/print site) and search under author...  Some of his works would definitely make for interesting trailside reading...

Happy trails!!!