From: Joseph Niemiec <whitethunder10@hotmail.com>
Sent: Dec 7, 2005 6:59 PM
To: dsaufley@sprynet.com, gobig2006@gmail.com
Cc: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Seeing donna's name

Hi all a little fun story for you.

Hiking the trail in 2004, I, like everyone, stayed at the Saufley's.  And
myself and Big Ben took the big red beast to the stores and such around
those parts.  And we had to stop at a gas station to fill it up.  Then we
got our purchasing done, hiked the rest of the trail, etc.

That winter I went back out to Cali (I'm from Wisconsin) for a ski vacation.
  On the way home from Tahoe there was a huge traffic backup because of the
mudslides.  After the super long hold up, we pulled over to get gas - at the
exact same station that I had stopped at with big ben! Surreal.

The thing about it is I was still very much in my post hike depression.

LIke I said, I'm not from California, so I'm not really used to it's
highways and stuff.  So to see that gas station all of the sudden felt
really cool... It was at that time that I realized I was near the Saufely's
house/ and the place I walked under the freeway there.  Before this I really
didn't know where I was when I was at teh saufley's  I mean I had an idea,
but not really a full map to look at.

  Of course none of my buddies I was with understood the feeling of
realizing that, but I swear that was rad.

Couldn't stop at the saufley's because I  had to catch a plane back home but
I wish I could've.

The thing about the trail is that sometimes it suprises you in life.

Seeing Donna's name on the list-serve reminded me of that... that's all

Oh one more thing - I saw the hut at carson pass during the same trip -
drove right by it.  And donner lake and snowboarded at squaw valley and
alpine meadows.

It si wierd - from the trail, stuff like that is rare, but it is where we
live our everyday lives.  The trail felt like a secret passage that crosses
our nation and everyone else doesn't even realize its there!  Writing this
mail just amped me up about hiking again. Damn.

The hardest part is somehow showing all my loved ones and friends what I
went through and the life i had in that secret passage for 4 months.  Next
time I'm bring everyone.  I it is so hard to know that feeling alone....

Mouse out
www.trailjournals.com/joeniemiec