[pct-l] Illegal Marijuana

All kidding aside...

This summer I hitched down into Trout Lake.  I'd spent the night at a
gorgeous camp (near a bridge over a really excellently flowing creek).
I'd set up my SD ultralightyear and was enjoying snacking on dinner when
a couple old guys (I'm 53 and they were at least 55, but they looked
it!!!) cruised into camp and set up 15' from me.

One of the things that I hate when doing a long hike is having to camp
with someone else around.  there are all sorts of social obligations
that come along with camping in close proximity that I'm simply not
interested in.  When I get to camp I go to bed, eat, read, and fall
asleep.  Socializing is not my forte in camp on the trail.

I remember finding a camp at a spring somewhere in in southern
washington or northern oregon and setting up and drying clothes and
getting warm.  I went to bed and was half asleep when Recess, Cedar and
Skittles quietly made their way to the spring and camp.  They set up,
got in their tents, wrote in their journals by artifical light, and went
to sleep.

I got up the next morning at dawn and was on the trail before first
light, and felt almost parental as I light-stepped by their tents, only
a couple feet away, to get back to the trail.  We all marvelled later
when we met at Ramona Falls or some place like that they hadn't bothered
me and I hadn't bothered them.  This is the rock-bottom-base-line of
sharing on the trail.  What else happens happens...

What's funny is that Monty and Dave - I forget his trailname - walked by
really involved in a conversation about where the kickoff should be
held.  I know that only a couple people on the list have actually met
WArner Springs Monty.  Genuiness and caring is what I carried away from
my couple short contacts with him.

At another camp - Lava Spring in Oregon - I was in bed, reading, having
already eaten and ready to conk out by seven, when a couple and their
little dog descended the trail from the south, wandered around, and set
up not 30' from me.  There were countless flat spots where they would
have been out of sight/mind.  But no, they set up so that I could hear
every word.

The guy had had a rough day, and was moaning, literally.  His girlfriend
had the kind of voice where she was used to coping with his personality
that was so patronizing I about barfed as I lay in my tent trying to
ignore them.  This was the only time I got pissed on the trail this
summer.  This couple had no sense of the world outside their pain and
weird relationship.  (I hope they're not on the listserv!!!)

I am an earlier riser on the trail and was long gone before the old guys
woke up.  I got to Road 88 about 6:30 and began to hitchhike.  What was
funny is that there were no cars to put my thumb in front of and shame
into stopping to pick me up.  I spent two hours standing by the side of
the road, watching the sun get higher in the sky and no one came by.  No
one.

I began to walk toward Trout Lake, 12 miles down the road.  I figured
this would be a good time to see just how fast I walk on even surfaces.
I walk three miles an hour. (What's amazing to me, is this is the pace I
hike at on the regular PCT grade)  I would have arrived in Trout Lake
sometime around 1PM.

Hiking on the road is different from hiking on the trail.  There were
mileage signs for one, so I could see how many minutes it took me to go
a mile - generally about 19.  I was so conscious, so awake and aware
within the act of walking I had to cope with heart palpitations.
Super-consciousness in the moment tends to slow time down and when
you're walking, this is not a desireable feature of living!!!  This was
a microcosm of what I was experiencing on the trail, a sense of
elongation, that all I was doing was putting one foot in front of the
other, heading to???  High anxiety...

I noticed that Busch beer was the beer of choice of those who threw
their cans out of their pickups. Coors was a close second, with Budlight
a close third.  I just wish that there had been pickups driving by.
 From the time I left the intersection of the trail with the road and
when I was finally picked up, nine miles down the road, seven cars had
passed.  Most had swerved to avoid hitting me.  I particularly remember
the face of one old guy with a big gut who had to "work" to turn the
wheel so that he entered the other lane to avoid me on the non-existent
shoulder, brush pushing me into the traffic lane.  His effort was
heroic, and I thanked him.

Speaking of big guts...

I've gained most of the weight back I lost while hiking for 700 miles.
One of the differences I noticed when I was down to 235 pounds was that
when I leaned over while sitting down to tie my shoes I no longer tied
them so the knot was on the inside.  I figure that fat people, like me
:-)  can't really lean over and tie their shoes from the top down.  We
need to lean over and reach our laces and tie our shoes so that the knot
is is on the INSIDE of our shoes.  This bugged me for the first month of
hiking.  When I got down in weight and was able to sit on a log and lean
over and tie my shoes so the knot was on the outside, I felt so
fulfilled....  When I'm hyperaware I find myself looking at people's
shoes to see where the knot is.  I generally affirm my hypothesis - fat
people tie their shoes so the knots are on the inside of the shoe...

I'd about given up getting a ride.  I'd hiked by a part of the road,
three miles outside of Trout Lake, where they were logging the 100 yard
wide strip left to shield tourists from the ravages of clearcutting.  I
walked by the machine that does everything.  He stopped his operation
while I walked by on the road.  I felt like he was honoring me when I
knew that it was insurance requirements that determined what he did.
His cab was blacked out with sunscreening, and I knew he was air
conditioned.  It was ugly, really, really ugly...

Finally, a fellow in a old Bronco with no roof stopped.  He had long
gray hair and beard.  I damn near stumbled into his car with thanks to a
larger reality.  And there, lo and behold, was Warner Springs Monty.  He
was hitching into Trout Lake to resupply as well.  WE shared a bit of
our experience and headed our different directions when we got into
Trout Lake.

One of the things I would change about hiking this summer is how much
time I spent with people.  I tended to avoid them.  I liked the two hour
talk and that's it.  I stayed away from "The Wave" pretty well.  I was
out to deal with my own demons, which I knew couldn't be seen, met, and
dealt with if I were in a group of people.  i wasn't out on the trail to
hike from A to B.  I was there to let my own demons emerge and see what
they looked like.  Most people were out to simply hike the trail.

I think the next time I do a long walk - perhaps next summer!!! - I want
to see if the loose confederation model will work for me.  My  ultimate
dream is to find a woman that likes to hike as much as I.  I found one
in the early 90s, and we spend 30 days on the PCT, Lassen to South
Tahoe, before I blew out an ACL.  Not a loose confederation, but the
deepening of a relationship, the 24/7 contact and physical/emotional
pain - the experience that builds relationships...

I kept wanting to ask the honeymooners/newlyweds (they never became
individuals for me) what was going on with them.   The boat people were
removed, in their own world.  I loved talking with Stick-girl and Bump.
They helped me leave the trail for good, or at least a month...

I met one couple an hour from the end of their thru-hike and I was a
stranger.  I empathized, felt, sympathized, celebrated, etc.  They
simply looked at my response as a validation, minor albeit...

The experience of hiking as a couple is not to be exceeded, at least in
my experience.

The old Bronco without a top arrived in Trout Lake and dropped Monty and
me off at the store.  I headed over to the post office and picked up my
resupply package.  I found a concrete wall behind the post office and
culled and added and groaned and got real.  The real part was that I
wasn't going to hike from there to the border.  I was going to hitchhike
to Cascade Locks.  That felt good.

Once I had my food packed and ready to go I walked to the burger joint
near the Y.  A couple 20 something guys, dirty, skinny, with packs, were
there with pints and burgers.  I sat down and a beautiful young woman
came out and took my order.  She was primally aware of the two guys, and
they were in damn near worship space.  Nothing was said - it was all
visuals...

The two guys and I started talking and over the next half hour I went
from the status of being some old guy to a peer.  The fellow who did
most of the talking was a brewmaster from a brewery that was one of the
few in the northwest that made organic India Pale Ale (my beer of
choice!).  I'd order a couple beers and was slowly mellowing as we
talked.  When all our food was done and we'd done telling our stories,
the brewmaster, assistant actually, asked if I wanted to move over into
the willows by the creek that ran by the burger joint and get high.

I was so honored.  I'm 53.  This guy was 25.  He saw his way across the
age divide to offer to share getting high.  This was about 1PM or so,
and my day had been long already.  I wanted to hitch to the Gorge and
find a motel room and let my body heal.  I hadn't smoked pot in a while,
and knew that hitchhiking while high on pot at 53 would have been like
hitching on LSD when I was 23.

I thanked the guy, ruing that I was so small/uptight in my way at that
moment.  In retrospect, being really high on good pot wouldn't have made
a whit of difference to my getting to Cascade Locks.  I might have been
a little more paranoid, but the rides would have been the same...

So, the end of the story is that illegal marijuana is everywhere, and
each of us has to make a choice in regards to our use of it.

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD