[pct-l] Warm Jacket

On 12/1/05, margarete hochhut <hochhut@web.de> wrote:

> I need a new warm jacket. I mean WARM Jacket.
> Plan to order the famous DriClime Windshirt. That won' t be warm enough in
> the camp, I am afraid. What do the experts recommend to carry together with
> the mentioned Windshirt.

If it was me, I would cook in the combination of a driclime windshirt and
the flight jacket.  When wearing a light base I needed to leave the Flight
partially unzipped if the temp is about 30F (-1C).  I was cozy to 0F with a
hat and gloves.  The Flight seemed to be warmer than a 400wt fleece.  There
are a number of other ultralight/ultrawarm down jackets made by the same
folks who make high quality down bags like feathered friends.

The Western Mountaineering Flight Jacket ?  Oooh, looks very bulky. It
> doesn' t look as if it can be worn underneath the Windshirt.

You should wear your flight jacket over  your windshirt.  The shell of the
flight (and most other high loft jackets) is windproof. Furthermore you
don't lose warmth by taking of your windshirt.

The Ultra Ligth Down Inner Jacket ? I' m not sure if that one is warm enough
> but nearly half the weight of the mentioned Flight Jacket.

It's not quite half the weight of the Flight, and is very definitely.  I
found the down inner jacket and the synthetic thermawrap jacket to be the
right weight for me.  They are a bit warmer than a 200wt jacket.  The down
inner jacket is light and warm, but the plastic buttons need a lot of care.
I prefer the zipper (and synthetic insulation) of the thermawrap.

--mark