[pct-l] Shoes

I was a die-hard New Balance fan for many years.  But they keep changing their shoes IT SEEMS just for the sake of having a new shoe each year.  The changes, in my opinion, usually aren't for the better.

Because of that, for my 2004 CDT hike, I branched out.  When Glory (PCT 2003) sent her opinions for my book, she said that she liked Saucony shoes.  So that's what I went looking for.  I found the Saucony Grid Aura TR5 shoes.  These have everything that New Balance recently removed from my favorites.  The Saucony have good tread which grab onto snow and wet rocks really well.  They're breathable.  And best of all, they cost HALF of what New Balance shoes cost.  I got my 2004 CDT Saucony's for $45/pair.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

jdrows@comcast.net wrote:Well ventilated is good and maybe . . . not so good.

While the desert heat can be merciless, the fine sand that filters in through well-ventilated shoes can cause more damage and discomfort.

I used the very well ventilated Montrail (?) Masai from Campo to Warner Springs this year and threw them away because I was getting too much fine particulate friction between the toes and had to use all the foam rubber tubes I had to keep the toes from making contact with each other. I had on Wright (?) socks and Smartwool hikers.

Jim K is right, NB 905s are great (if you can find them).
JD