[pct-l] Why Hike?

Shaw Manford wrote:

>    I adventure travel, and now hike, because that is where  freedom is at. Here in the sedentary world of American Dreamland, we spend most  of our days re-acting to other peoples agendas and desires. On the trail, all  of that carefully designed prompting and manipulation is gone, allowing us to  live every day as nature intended and enabling us to take back the ownership of  our lives.

This relates to my feeling about wilderness travel.  I sum it all up in
one word--freedom.
I like to hike at least 50 days of every year, and I also like to take
long road trips all over the country.  Road trips are fun because one
can make impulsive discoveries--restaurants, hitherto unknown national
monuments, but on a road trip you are never free from "the man".  You
gotta watch your driving, watch out for the other lousy driver, watch
out for the speed traps, and think about where to spend the night
without getting rousted at midnight.  So you find a friendly truck stop
or pay some obscene price for a parking place in a campground, or get
lucky and find a cheap camping spot in a National park or forest.  You
have to deal with gas prices and breakdowns and the lousy neighbors in
the campground with the boombox and the cooler full of booze that party
until 3 am.
But in the wilderness I am free of all those things.  Once I leave my
rig at a relatively safe parking spot I leave it all behind.  No paying
for camping, no neighboring campers, no speed traps, no breakdowns, no
gas..... I think of wilderness hiking as the real world.  In that real
world, if I want to talk to someone, I can't pick up a phone.  I have to
go find that person.  If I don't want anyone to find me, well, they
probably won't.  If I want to go somewhere, I will have to walk.  If
it's raining, I will be wet.  That's reality.  The simplicity and the
freedom are what appeal to me, because my "normal " life is so stressful
and dependent upon computers, phones and automobiles.  That "normal"
life seems very artificial.  When I return to work life, I don't think
of it as coming back to reality.  Quite the opposite.
This is precisely why I don't like to hike in places that have a high
presence of backcountry bureaucrats (aka rangers).  They remind me too
much of CHP, waiting to pull me over and give me a hard time, enforcing
rules that don't make sense to me. If I had ever needed their help I
might feel differently.
llamalady