[pct-l] identifying birds by song

whoa! give that person a cigar if not the car...

IDing birds by song has been a passion for me but very difficult to do. I am
not sure why. I just could never fully register songs so that I was able to
ID the bird if I heard it again. I'm even a fairly accomplished musician,
too. To me, this is a very amazing and coveted skill. But wait....

The digital age to the recue! I acquired an impressive computer-age device
called the "Song Sleuth" made and sold by Wildlife Acoustics. It actually
records a bird's song in the field (range = ~50 ft.; the range can be
greatly expnded by hooking the line-in to a parabolic reflector/mic combo).
Then the digital wav file is analyzed by an efficient algorithm and the
device gives you the three best possibilities. Then you can play the
suggested bird's sound files for further comparison and ID. Pretty
amazing... because it works! I have become a much more accomplished bird
song ID guy.
 My hats off to all those analog people who can ID bird songs by sound and a
further tip of the hat to those who get it by verbal description. I'm in
awe!