[pct-l] OR and WA resupply recs

Here's something to consider regarding some of these little resorts,
at least in Oregon: they are treasured.  There are people who come
back to them year after year and will continue to do so no matter how
high the  price, how poor the service, how rude the proprietor.  One
of my best buddies has this sort of thing going with Shelter Cove.
He has fond memories of the place from annual visits during his
childhood in the 50's and he wanted his kids to have the same
experience.  During the late 80's and early 90's we went there with
our families every summer and fished for Kokanee.  We met the same
people there year after year.  We would all get together at the store
before we left and make next year's reservation.  If we didn't the
place would be booked.  We went through a couple of owners (not the
current owner who I've never met) and they were the worst business
people I have ever seen.  When a particular commodity was in short
supply, like ice for example, would they put in extra stocks and
maybe increase the price a bit?  No! They would ration it and get
really nasty if you wanted to buy more than they thought you needed.
And ask them to fill the gas tank on your boat with their overpriced
fuel and you would think you've asked them to march to hell and back.
Nonetheless, people come back year after year.  Odell Lake Resort at
the opposite end of the lake from Shelter Cove is another place
people love.  I recall a divorce proceeding in which next year's
reservation for New Year's Eve at Odell Lake Resort was a hotly
contested item.  Some people feel the same way about Olallie Lake.
How can I explain it?  There's  a special spot in the lake where you
fished with your grandad, who passed away a few years back, but when
you anchor out there and put a hook in the water its like grandad is
still there with you.  So the owner's a drunk?  What's that compared
to your great memories of a great place?  So, my point is that some
of these resort owners are really under no pressure to please
anybody. The addicted will return no matter what.  They can treat
everyone bad.  I've spent hundreds of dollars in a few days at
Shelter Cove (not under the current management) only to be treated
like scum.  I can only imagine how transient hiker trash were treated
by the same folks.

Wayne Kraft
Former Kokanee Hunter