[pct-l] OR and WA resupply recs

Well said Scott. On that note, the Dee Wright Observatory on McKenzie Pass is not just a touron attraction and not just for tourons. It's a little slice of Oregon history, and well worth the 30 second walk to the top - even for a local.

stillroaming <PCT@DelNorteResort.Com> wrote:  The previous post brought to you by the Oregon Department of Tourism.

If you're hiking this year, take Suge's resupply suggestions with a grain of
salt.

Suge, am I really an 'idiot' if I send a resupply package to Stehekin? The
selection at the store is terrible. Granted it's only 4 days to the border.
They didn't even have ramen when I was there in '03.

Why WOULDN'T you send a resupply package to Ollalie Lake?

Hitching the 15 MILES in and out of Sisters is not ALWAYS easy. With a
resupply package waiting for you on trail at Ollalie, you don't need this
waaaay out of the way, time consuming stop.

Same statement applies for Stevens Pass. The Kracker Barrel has a terrible
selection. Why resupply there when you have the wonderful option of sending
yourself a resupply package there?

Am I really a 'moron' if I don't buy at Mazama in Crater Lake? In '02 I
retrieved new shoes, esbit fuel and food from my drift box at Crater Lake. I
did not resupply from the store, although it had a good selection. Yes I AM
a moron.

Telling a person they're an 'idot' or 'moron' because they don't subscribe
to the strategy you're selling is really, really, STUPID.

The post does have merit in the sense it is far easier to resupply from
trail towns than sending yourself a zillion packages. I certainly use the
town resupply strategy. In some places you have no choice, though. In the
end, it's your hike. Do what you feel you need to do. Don't let someone
cajole or brow beat you into a strategy because it works for them or their
hidden agenda.

Scott Parks

Jennifer Head

Ph.D. Candidate