[pct-l] Trail Markings

Trail markings?  We don't need no stinking trail markers!  We all made it
fine to Canada 28 years ago when 70% of California wasn't even in existence.
Oregon and Washington both were marked well with the Cascade Crest and Skyline
trails being done in the 30's.  But California had almost no markings of any
sort anywhere!

Yep, we got lost often and I even made a 12 mile loop back to the same spot 4
hours later just north of Arrowhead!  It made me mad as hell, but also made
me pay a lot more attention to my compass, directions, maps, etc.  It made me
an expert map reader and route finder ever since.

In fact, of those who have hiked any of the trails before, I'm sure that you
may have found the same thing when out hiking with others; i.e. that you can
follow a poorly marked or trodden trail almost without thinking, whereas others
often go the wrong way.

Eh?

Greg