[pct-l] Trail Markings

>>his conversation? does remind me of last spring when
Mike Mauer of
>>Gossamer Gear offered, on this list, to snowshoe up
toward Fuller Ridge
>>with his GPS and put some trail markings up for the
2005 hikers.  He

Additional trail markings in a dangerous area is one
thing...but for normnal trail conditions?

Do we really need to kvetch about lack of markings for
people attempting a speed record? If Joe Average
thru-hiker has minimal trouble following a trail, then
I think things are A OK.

Remember, this discussion came about because a runner
(who is used to a much more controlled racing
environment) claimed the trail markings were
inadequate. Think the hikers who made it from Mex to
Canada (or Can to Mex) followed the trail A-OK.
Again, you may get "lost" a little bit (I did on
occassion), but not so LOST that I want more signage
on the trail.

I am not such a luddite that I say "no markings! Nay!
Nay! Nay!", but I also recongnize that I do not want
an AT like experince on the PCT. And as much as I
enjoy the trail runs I've been in (great people,
awesome volunteers, fun and beautiful experiences), do
not expect same type of services (aid stations, marked
course so I do not have to pay attention to the trail,
support) for my backpacking trips.  I have respect for
these speed record attempts...but the people
attempting the records should take the trail on its
own terms. Not make the trail conform to *their*
terms.

YMMV. HYOH. Just my .05, etc.

On a side note, I am glad we can this great discussion
with diverse opinions without getting into flames.
Very cool!

--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com