[pct-l] Stimulating Discussion

The funniest & scariest from a 1976 thru-hike:

1) June 8th: We were making camp next to the San Joaquin River  after a
21-mile High Sierra day when I discovered I'd left my walking stick a  mile back.
After dinner I put on my camp shoes and went jogging back to get it.  Soon I
bumped into Mutt & Jeff, two other thru-hikers, coming down the  trail. They
stepped aside to let me pass and I remember one  commenting, "I can't believe
you're out jogging". I replied, "You have to stay  in shape somehow out here" and
trotted on by. Anyway, I thought it was funny -  they probably remember it as
pretty strange.

2) May 23rd: We spent half a day in Mojave doing laundry for the first time
on the hike and making multiple trips to McDonalds next door. It was evening
when we decided to give night hiking a shot. We headed off cross country,
paralleling Highway 14 heading toward Jawbone Canyon. There remained just  enough
light to make out objects, but not really identify them - we kept on
flashlights in our packs. I got use to the many sticks that looked like a snake  and
started to get comfortable. That's when one of the 'sticks' I stepped on
curled around my foot and I jumped around shaking it off. The two I was with
thought I had just imagined it. I got my flashlight out  and found a Sidewinder a
few feet away under a bush. That ended  our night hiking - we continued on
just far enough to hopefully be out of its  area - whatever that might be?
Early Bird
'76 & '01