[pct-l] Conversation with Brian Robinson on Sierra streams, June, '05

Fascinating info - thanks for posting that.

On the great unbuckling debate - we found it was much better to keep our
pack waist belts buckled (but sternum straps undone). I realise this goes
counter to recieved wisdom, however, we had large drybags inside our packs
(at 4oz works out lighter than a trash bag and 2 stuffsacs, and a lot more
waterproof) and bear canisters. As a result, our packs were like giant
buoyancy aids, full of air. On the 3 times that we had to swim, our packs
kept us afloat very well, with our heads and shoulders well clear of the
water. Obviously if you haven't got a giant-airbag-like pack , then this
approach may result in you sinking rapidly to the bottom of a cold river.

The two problems this caused were:
1) When we were swept over in Kerrick, the packs caught the current. It was
a struggle to haul ourselves out of the creek against that force. (NB
Kerrick was a LOT easier c.200yds upstream where it was half the depth of
the official ford).
2) Wearing the packs meant that we became buoyant earlier in crossings, ie
had to swim once the water hit mid chest, vs carrying them might have let us
get a bit deeper. Kinda moot point given that we were probably gonna swim
anyway! Also, you can't hold your pack above your head and support the hiker
in front of you, so you have to cross solo which in my experience, is vastly
harder than crossing paired.

I'm glad I kept the pack on tho'. With the waist belt undone, it would have
been unwieldy for me. I'm confident I could shed the pack rapidly if I had
to. As I said, this may not work for you, particularly if your pack isn't
highly buoyant.

Interesting that it appears the crossings over the whole Sierra got bad at
about the same time - mid-late June. Timing seems more important than the
particular creek - a 5-year old could have crossed Evolution or Bear on the
dates we hit them. Tyndall still had a snow bridge.

Dave

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/