[pct-l] SuperSecrets - Page 2

SuperSecrets - Page 2 with some updated information.  Sorry for the repeats.

PERSONAL AIR CONDITIONER: Cool Blast Air Cooler (www.mistymate.com) for about
$13.00. It is 3.0 oz. empty and 5.5 oz. full. Just spray the water around your face and lower the temperature 20-30 degrees. Very nice for hot weather hiking.

OVERVIEW MAPS:hiking. But I find that a good overview map is very useful too. It gives you roads and towns in the vicinity. Plus it shows you the whole section. One county map that I find very good is the AAA county road maps. If you cannot find AAA county maps, check with the local Chamber of Commerce and see if there are other county road maps available.  Here is what I find is a good procedure to create these overview maps.
A. Get the county map for the area you are hiking. If you need two maps because the trail crosses into another county, be sure to tape the maps together first.
B. Mark the trail on the map with a highlighter. Note the AAA maps have the PCT marked on them.
C. Take the map to Kinko or to a color copier and reproduce at about 133%. This makes the map easier to read. At least for me it is easy to read. :-)
D. At home trim the map down to what you think appropriate.
E. Take a template and draw circles around the guide book mileage waypoints. You can mark the mileage near the circles too. Of course, you can mark water, stores, road walking (yellow blazing) routes, etc.
F. Just fold it up and put it with your guide book section you are taking on the hike.

GEAR & SUPPLY ORGANIZATION: Keep a gear storage box for your primary hiking gear in your garage or home. This makes it mush easier to keep track of your gear when planning for a hike. Mark it "Gear Box #1". This keeps your most used items in one place and instead of scattered all over the place. For example, you could keep; duct tape, lithium batteries, seam sealer, extra reflective cord and tent stakes, Velcro straps, sundries and medical supplies, winter gear (not clothes), water repellent spray, etc. This system is like a permanent drift/bounce box in your garage. Makes life a lot easier.

Secondly, on the trail put your breakfast and lunch food/drink powders in a sandwich ZipLock bag and mark it "Daily Pouch". This way you can monitor your daily nutrition intake easily. I have a pouch for each day on the trail. I put my morning vitamins. breakfast drink/bar, electrolyte power, lunch items/bar, daily candy/gum, fruit leather, E-tabs, GORP/corn nuts, etc. in this pouch. It weighs about 12 ounces full. Very easy to use and keeps your supply usage organized. I keep my Daily Pouch in an Eagle Creek small pouch attached to my REI Double Shot waist pack. Extremely easy to use this way.

I was thinking of making a big deal about this daily pouch system (first in the world to think of it, etc.) and calling it the Switchback Daily Pouch System, but even I could not bring myself to do that. Though I am a little disappointed in myself for not doing it. There was a great potential harassment and irritation factor there. I must be slipping.  I promise to do better.

Cheers, Switchback
Outlaw Hiker & Camp Self Promoter