[pct-l] My friend the PCT

I always enjoy the drive on highway 94 from San Diego
to Campo. There is a certain excitement that builds as
you get closer to Campo that only a PCT enthusiast
understands. As I drive there today my thoughts are
consumed by the previous days events. I fight back
emotional outbursts during the entire drive, and when
I can't hold out any longer the emotions and the tears
flow. The outbursts only last a minute or so now.
Yesterday and the day before they lasted much longer.
I'm alone, all my friends are at work, my girlfriend
is at work and I have to fend for myself. I need an
understanding friend, and that is why I drive to Campo
to visit the PCT. This is the 2nd day in a row I make
it out here. Yesterday I saw some Minutemen. Today,
not a soul in sight. I park at the southern terminus.
It stands like an old guard, never wavering. I read
the log and see that some sobos have finished just a
few days prior. There is a bottle of tequila, limes,
and candy wrapped in a little bag at the terminus. A
gift at the end of a long journey.
The emotions are ever present, and with a heavy heart
I begin to walk north. I'm only carrying a banana, my
car keys, cell phone, and a can of Budweiser wrapped
in a paper bag. I'm not going far. The trail greets me
in a kind and gentle way. Border Patrol agents peer at
me as they drive by. I realize I could be mistaken for
a illegal by the way I am dressed. Hey! I'm only half
mexican!! I wave and they pass by. A soft breeze
consoles me in my time of need. Ravens fly overhead
and I can heat their wings. I stroll under the
crackling power lines. The trail curves along
chaparral and large boulders. I make as far as the
juvenile detention center and actually see juveniles
dressed in orange T-shirts filing into the barracks. I
sit on a boulder and contemplate the situation at my
parent's house. I turn back and focus on the trail, a
foot path cut onto mother earth. The trail is
relaxing, at this moment it is my closest friend. I
arrive at my vehicle and sit against the terminus to
write this entire post. I am comforted momentarily and
at peace.
I never gave leukemia much thought until my father was
diagnosed with it a week ago. He has refused all
treatment. The prognosis? Weeks. Thoughts of a
thru-hike enter my mind. Too early to decide. I thank
god for my family, friends, and the PCT.

Heath Haggerty
aka: Shocker
San Diego

http://farechase.yahoo.com