[pct-l] Clarification once twice sold

I can understand the confusion but which is the correct version, there  seems
to be even more. check the
website.http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html This is what I  refered to.

Lonetrail

A "Matilda" was the name given to the pack of an Australian Bushman or
Swagman. To "Waltz Matilda" was to carry your pack around the bush. 50.000
soldiers of _Australia_ (http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html#)
died at Gallipoli in a stupid and pointless  campaign, which was a lot for a
small country like Australia. About the only  thing the achieved was a belated
recognition that Australia was "growing up",  she was becoming a nation in her
own right.

 (http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/matilda.html)

I'm not sure where you get your references, but you are a little off  the
mark.   If you are talking about the old Australian folk song -  it is
'Waltzing Matilda' - and there is no reference anywhere in the song to  a bed
roll.  The song mentions his 'billy' (a billy can or kettle) and  his 'tucker
bag' (bag of food) - but nothing about a bed roll.  (Nothing  about keeping
the weight down, either!!!)

'Waltzing Matilda' refers to  a tramp or hobo (a 'Matilda') walking (or
waltzing) along the highway.   The 'story' behind the song is basically the
story of a hobo, who on being  arrested for stealing a sheep chooses to drown
himself in a pool rather than  be taken to jail.  "You'll come a waltzing
with me" refers to the  sheep's owner 'waltzing' the hobo off to jail.
Every April, a march is held on ANZAC DAY to commemorate the Gallipoli
landings during the _first World War_
(http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/ww1.html) , and the dead of the other wars. Australia  takes it so seriously
that the pubs are closed, the only day in the year this  happens. Like all
memorial parades it is both moving and yet somewhat pointless  and pathetic. This
song was written after observing one such parade