[pct-l] A couple of questions for the experts

So, as I prep for my 2006 thru-hike attempt I have been trying to determine
if I should bring my Colt .45 or my Glok 9mm as the sidearm of choice on the
trail.  I figure since I have no plans to use a bear canister, I want to
have some protection for my dog (American Pit Bull) and I while we head
north.
Don't even try the pct, here locally, without a .454 Casull (+100 rounds), a
Karelian bear dog, bear canister, gps, and cell phone.  It would be
suicide....