[pct-l] Water Tricks

Hey Switchback
INDIAN PEBBLES METHOD
These days those Iindian pebbles are called Jolly Ranchers, the candy of
choice on the PCT.
Hard candy WORKS!.
I use them to even out and stretch water consumption.  I've only run out of
water once every thousand miles or so. One time I usedyour "someone else's"
method for a full pint.
My second and main purpose for justifying the added weight of Jolly
Ranchers(They really mess up my food weight even at one or two per day.) is
I LIKE THEM.  Blue Rasberry and Grape serve this function best for this
purpose.
I have cut way back on my Jolly Rancher Supply where water is 10 miles or
less apart for weight reasons.  You'll find hiker's extra Jolly Ranchers in
a lot of hiker boxes.  May seem more wierd than serious, but I function
better with this "Indian pebble" method.

To extend water and carry less weight I do a couple more things.
Number One in So Cal is I use Asabat's water report at 4jeffrey.net.  (By
far my favorite Trail Angel action and it is ALWAYS presented and handed
out at the Kickoff.)
Two, I start hiking early, early mornings and earlier in the season.
This year, with the high rainfalls, I usually carried one pint to one liter
in So Cal.  Don't try this your first time on the PCT!

Also to keep water weight (related to water) down try this following .link
for US Forest service recommendations for water sanitation.It can help
determine your sanitation gear weight.
I use a 90% method, same percentage rating as iodine(plus what my father
taught me over 40 years ago.  I was less than 10 years old.) to insure
safety.  It's worked for approximately 3500 miles.
Total weight is one drop per pint or total gear non-registering on my 0.1
ounce scale. (Your mileage may vary)  This method is much more popular on
the AT.

To link to these US Forest Service methods:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/cherokee/recreation/giardia.shtml

Great Topic
Warner Springs Monty

<carolwbruno@yahoo.com>