[pct-l] more about blazing

more about blazing:

WHITE BLAZING:  The Appalachian Trail is very well-marked with 2" x 6" white blazes of paint on trees, rocks, road signs, etc.

BLUE BLAZING:  Trails that intersect the AT are blazed with blue paint.  These trails might go to shelters, they might go around a hill while the AT goes over the hill, they might go to a waterfall while the AT avoids it.  In this respect, the Eagle Creek Trail on the PCT could be considered a blue-blaze trail.

YELLOW BLAZING:  Riding in a car.  This interrupts a continuous hike.

AQUA BLAZING:  Riding in a boat.

I've heard of more types of blazing, but these are the major ones.  It's an AT thing.  Sort of like religion --- by designating yourself as a white blazer, that gives you the right to judge others for doing something different.  If you believe, that somehow makes you better.  The whole concept makes me nuts.

But then, that's just my biased opinion.

Did I see all the white blazes on the AT?  Yep.  But I don't care if someone else did/didn't.  Make your hike your own, then tell the truth when someone asks if you hiked the whole trail.

I'll never see every step of the PCT because I just can't bring myself to miss Eagle Creek.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

yogi <yogihikes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:no, no, no.

yellow-blazing is riding in a car.
it's a bad thing.

yellow blazing does NOT refer to walking.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

StoneDancer1@aol.com wrote:
So, as I understand it... Yellow Blazing could either be "accomplished" by
walking or hitching on a road and skipping a section of trail, or by hitching
when the road *is* the trail.

Someone mentioned Eric Ryback's supposed indiscretions. I recently re-read
the book. He talks about going through Rockhouse Basin ( Just south of
Kennedy Meadows ) in the afternoon and spending that night in Tehachapi... some
150 miles south. Eat your heart out, David Horton. :C)

"No Way Ray" Echols