[pct-l] dry hamburger

I'm shocked at the fact that I can actually have hamburger on the trail and
not die from something in it. But I haven't yet.

Use a flat microwaveable 9x13" pan and crumble really lean hamburger into as
small of pieces as I can, (don't be anal, they will get smaller as you go,)
fill the pan with water and cook on high till the water boils or close to
it. US Gov't USDA says 160 degrees, but if you don't have a thermometer this
will get you there.
Then pour off the water through a colander, Crumble the meat again as small
as you can get it and run it in the microwave at high in 5 minute
increments, checking and crumbling as you go. When it's dry as a bone,
you're there. It will look sort of like brown rock salt.

When put into water and left for an hour and then cooked, it turns back into
(Taa Daa) Hamburger.

If you want seasoning you can put dry seasoning in it after the colander
step and before the dry cooking.

This will store in the freezer, and last for a summer without refrigeration.

I'm mostly vegetarian but can't get enough protein when hiking.

Carolyn Eddy
"Sweet Goat Mama"
www.goattracksmagazine.com