[pct-l] re: Peeing water blister town eats bear snakes

Hey all,

I am a scientist by occupation and by nature (no pun intended). I am in complete agreement with Einstein; I don't believe in GOD - the guy up in the sky. I need to look no further than Nature itself - which is one of the reasons I am so drawn to the beauty and diversity of the Pacific Crest Trail. I don't mind a lighthearted discussion about religion, spirituality, or faith. In fact, I consider myself to be a very spiritual person, just not in the way that some others would define it. I don't appreciate people making me feel "wrong" for the way I feel. There is no right or wrong here because no one can prove or disprove the existence of a supreme being.

It seems that some people are getting pretty offended. I am not saying that this is without reason. Earlier in this thread, I recall someone mentioning that a new list member might be "turned off" by such an unfriendly and sometimes un-PCT like discussion. I had the same experience on the CDT-L. As I plan for my 2006 hike next year, I am already dreaming about at CDT thru hike. I joined the list smack-dab in the midst of a nasty thread between Jim Owen and basically everyone else. He was insulting people right and left and telling them to leave the list if everyone couldn't handle him telling them they were stupid or "uneducated" for not seeing things his way. I don't care who has logged more miles than me, who has been on the list longer, or if they even dug the whole damn trail by hand. No one has the right to talk to another person like that and it certainly shouldn't be tolerated on a list such as the CDT-L or the PCT-L. After that thread, I have no burning desire to participate
 in CDT-L discussions which is precisely what Yogi predicted would happen in a post she made concerning said "debate".

Why don't we all just agree to disagree and move on. Granted, bearvault discussions are not as philosophically stimulating as the existence (or not) of a supreme being - but that is the purpose of this list, no? I feel like this emotionally charged thread has really strayed FAR away from the PCT. I?m sure they have other lists out there for such a debate.

BTW - when I hiked the JMT last year, my pee was clear from day 3 on.

Neutrally yours,

jackalope:)

alec <amr10009@yahoo.com> wrote:
ed,

you wrote:

"Maby if you folks reading these posts had a better understanding of us
hikers and our own questions we ask each other out here you would not
clutter up this site with taboo touchy topics....."

no offense, my friend, but i AM a hiker!!! i've walked and
climbed thousands of miles on several continents AND
i've met countless folks on the trail. rarely have i had an
unsolicted conversation about spiritual matters, short of
shaking my head in disbelief and commenting on the
grandeur and transcendent qualities of our surroundings.
but, i have NEVER had a conversation with another hiker
about the color of our urine or the consistency of our
excrement. if someone is sick, that is one thing, but to
say that these are the most common topics of
conversation is bewildering to me

i am truly sorry that you think your/our spirit is a "taboo,
touchy subject."

Jennifer Head

Ph.D. Candidate
Oregon Institute of Marine Biology