[pct-l] existentialism and spirituality

excuse me monty, but i believe brick robbins, the pct-l admin. wrote the following:

"There will be NO wars on this list, so if you feel the need to talk about
your god, or lack thereof, you may only do so under two conditions.

1)It must pertain to the PCT somehow. Random preaching is not appropriate.
2)You must be polite and tolerant of the views of other list members"

i don't think my previous post can be construed by anyone as being disrespectful or intollerant.  quite the opposite, actually.

i wish i could say the same thing about your response.

Monty Tam <metam01@earthlink.net> wrote:
Isn't this the same stuff?
What I think I've heard is it just doesn't belong here. Nothing else.

There may be enough people interested to start a "Spirituality on the PCT"
list.
No man should ever have to listen to another man's stereo.
Even more so, should any man ever have to listen to another man's god thing?
Kind of like preaching in first person.
Spiritual Tresspassing? Please spare us all. And god bless :)

existential dialogue that has taken place in this "community." with a very
slight exception, the discourse has been non-sectarian and respectful. i
think that many folks instantly recoil and misinterpret dialogue of this
nature. i haven't seen the names of jesus, muhommed, siddhartha, krishna
or moses invoked in any of the preceeding posts. rather, people are
sharing ideas and concepts that cut to the heart of the reason why hiking
is so important to all of us.

> i agree with meadow ed when he writes,
>
> "just as many feel that smelling the pine trees in the breeeze or seeing
MT. Rainer is the ANSWER to the why ?

> voila! absolutely agreed, ed! that is why i wanted to introduce the
concept of pantheism into this discussion. as defined by webster's
dictionary, pantheism means:

> n 1: worship that admits or tolerates all gods 2: the doctrine or belief
that God is the universe and its phenomena (taken or conceived of as a
whole) or the doctrine that regards the universe as a manifestation of God

> in short, G-d IS to be experienced by "smelling the pine trees in the
breeze or seeing mt. ranier."

> i understand that many are put off by discussions of "spirituality"... it
seems to be a "loaded" word these days in america (thanks in large part to
disengenous politicians who have co-opted the term in an effort to garner
votes)

> in any event, i am immensely grateful for the existence of this online
community. i truly repsect the feelings of all contributors. i have
learned from many of you. surely, we need to be very careful/mindful when
sharing our feelings about the sublime. whether we know it or not,
spirituality is at our very core; if only in our breath. after all, the
latin root of the word "spirituality" is "spirae" or breath. think of it:
spirit... respiration...

> nobody wants to "hijack" this board. there are many practical hiking
questions and concerns to share. but, i do hope that the core issues of
spirituality, particularly as they relate to hiking and the pacific crest
trail, will continue to be an accepted and respected topic of discussion.

> imho, backpacking is about MUCH more than the relative strength of
silnylon, or the pros and cons of liquid vs. solid fuel. dare i say, that
if he were alive today, mr muir would concur.