[pct-l] Re: Old Trailwise Bag--vintage gear

I read Colin's book back in about 1971 when I first started backpacking
with the Sierra Club. I still use the frame of my original A-16 frame,
although every other part of the pack has been replaced, modified, and
somewhat lightened. I still have a Svea 123 stove as well as the 123R
which has the nozzle cleaning wire built in. Haven't fired them for
quite some time. Also have a set of Sigg potts (1, 2, & 3 liter) and I
think some Sigg aluminum bottles (for fuel).

Enough gear (except for tent and clothes) to do a retro backpack. And
back then there were people who packed much lighter than Colin
recommended and people were using tarps instead of tents.

I don't know about the amount of  guide books and such then verses now.
Wilderness Press published quite a few and there was also _Starr's Guide
to the John Muir Trail_ which covered the JMT and numerous laterals,
some probably long abandoned. Maps were generally USGS 15 minute topos
or Forest Service.

If Monte or someone else does get a museum going, I'd be glad to donate
some of my old gear.