[pct-l] Admin Note: God and the Trail

To Whom It May Concern,

I hiked the trail, largely alone, back in 1974.  I had never met  another
thru hiker until I attended the ADZ this past April, 31 years  later.  I dearly
wanted to see if there was anyone there with whom I could  discuss the
spiritual aspects of the Journey.  I was sadly  disappointed.

Thereafter I made a few forays on this List and was soundly rebuffed for my
"spiritual trespassing."  Recently I have tried to initiate some kind of
dialog on the spiritual side of long distance hiking as, it appears, you have
noticed, and have had some response.

It is not my intention to "preach" with the purpose of changing other
peoples' minds regarding how they feel about their spiritual revelations on  their
trips, rather only to find out how they feel on the  subject.

I don't care what a person calls it, this Great Backpacker In The Sky, as
Strider calls it, only that we talk about it.  (Unless, of course, it is a
banned subject.)  People throughout history have gone into the mountains to  find
solace, clear their minds, and commune with "mother nature."  The  spiritual
side of mountaineering is a huge part of what it's all about.  It  should be
something that we can talk about without taking offense with each  person's
beliefs.

I concur, there should be guidelines understood that allow us to  talk about
our spiritual revelations on trail. Let's agree to disagree.  No  fighting or
you're out.  Deeper discussions go of-List.  Etc.,  etc....

My deepest appologies for any offenses I may have caused,

mtnned