[pct-l] Re:Old Trailwise Bag

Good morning, all,

Recently as I watched Weathercarrot's fine PCT '04 DVD I was again reminded
of Fletcher's Complete Walker.  About half-way through the Washington
chapter there is an image of a young red-headed hiker sitting next to a
gigantic external-frame pack that is propped up with a hiking pole.  That is
pure Fletcher even though this young lad may have never heard of Complete
Walker.

I was introduced to Complete Walker by a college student cousin in the late
'60s or early '70s.  It was, and continues to be, fine reading but by then I
didn't actually learn much in the way of gear selection or technique.  A
similar situation occurred 20 years later when Jardine published.

It's strange how we remember inane details.  There is an interesting
dichotomy between those two writers concerning what to wear.  Fletcher seems
to have always worn his shoes, but confessed to occasionally hiking
otherwise naked.  Jardine apparently wore cloths, but advocated occasionally
hiking bare footed.  I compromise by wearing both cloths and shoes.  There
may be someone out there who compromises the opposite by wearing neither.

Steel-Eye

"A dyslexic atheist doesn't believe in Dog."
-  Bumper sticker