[pct-l] Re: "Delicate Princess Foot Syndrome"

Hi everybody! I want to say thank you to everyone who
contributed suggestions, ideas, personal stories, and
just plain old fashioned encouragement in regards to
my foot issues.

Since returning to the drawing board, I have spent a
gazillion dollars just on gas to make two trips to the
REI of my choice (Manhattan Beach, CA-- which is a 3.5
hour drive. ANY REI is at least a 3 hour drive in any
direction from me.) in hopes of finding a pair of
boots/shoes/sandals/slippers-- ANYTHING that will keep
me hiking. REI was my first choice and worth the drive
due to the wonderful return policy.

I originally came home with a pair of Montrail Torre
GTX boots. Yes, they weighed just over 3 pounds for
the pair. I promise to reduce my pack weight by
approximately 8-10 lbs in order to compensate for the
weight I would save with trail runners/tennis shoes
and consequent stress on my back. :-)

However, I have found that the high top of a boot
allows me more options for creative lacing and gives
me a tighter heel lock. So I'm sticking with boots
just now.

I brought the Torres home and happily galavanted
around town and local "trails" (we have a runners
trail along the river-- at least it's something.)
Until I realized that no matter how I laced them they
were too narrow in the toe box and my baby toes
continuously went numb.

Today I am just back home from a 13 hour round trip
BACK to REI to exchange the Torres. The guys in the
footwear department were getting pretty irritated with
me until they realized how far I came just to try on
shoes! I had stacks and stacks of boot boxes all over
the place.

I am now the proud new owner of a pair of Montrail
Blue Ridge GTX (why Gortex? I dunno, the tag looked
cool hanging off the boots? I'm a sucker for
marketing-- and they didn't have the same boots in
non-Gortex in the store.)

I am also sporting a pair of high dollar OTC othotics
from a local store that deals in such things (the Bone
Store)-- Lynco 400s, just fyi. The Lynco orthotics
felt better on my feet than any of the other
brands/models that the Bone Store carries, including
Superfeet. They have a flexible arch support that
allows my foot to move in it's funky natural way while
rolling through a step, yet corrects much of my
over-pronation without being so rigid that they
fatigue my feet or cause me to hobble. WAY comfy too.
Only worry is that they have a layer of open-cell foam
that will take FOREVER to dry in the case that I get
them wet.

I took these insoles with me to REI, btw.

I got flat laces because they are much more
comfortable over my instep (and result in fewer
rope-burns on my hands from lacing them tightly.)

Many of the guys at REI also teased me about my cool
wooden beads, until they heard why I had them.

I was really happy with the original Torre boots,
except for that numb-toes thing. I tried several
different lacing techniques to see if the problem was
due to my lacing so tightly in order to get a solid
heel-lock or if the toe box was just plain too narrow.
One idea was to use some wooden beads (think macrame)
on the lace where it initially threads through the
eyelets at the toes. If I just started lacing on a
higher eyelet, it just put stress on my instep and
hurt. The beads create a sort of spacer that keeps the
laces from pulling too tightly at the toe.

Even though it turned out that the toe box on the
Torres WAS just plain too narrow for me, I took the
spacer idea with me to REI and tried everything with
and without-- Aside from the girly decrative factor,
it works very well and several of the REI guys (no,
really, I only saw two girls all day and they were
working at the registers) thought it sounded worth a
try. (Or maybe they were just humoring me because I'm
so gosh-darned cute.)

Torres in larger sizes were still too narrow in the
toes for my comfort, and after walking around in the
Blue Ridges for awhile, the Torres just did not
compare for fit and comfort.

I am VERY hopefull. This is the first time I have ever
worn a shoe of ANY type that felt this close to being
one with my foot. I can spread my toes out completely
in these and not be able to touch both sides of the
toebox at the same time, even though my heels are
ACTUALLY LOCKED in the heelcup! And the boot fits
through the instep like a glove while still having
space for my feet to swell if I just lace them looser.
The soles bend in the same place as my feet when I'm
walking, jumping, upstairs, downstairs, up the ramp,
down the ramp, checking out how cool the Goretex tag
looked hanging off the laces in the mirror:-)

I wore them out of the store like I was 6 years old--
even though they looked ridiculous with my outfit.

Ok...all this being said, I have yet to really put any
wear and mileage on them so we'll just have to cross
our fingers and wait for the final word.

Meanwhile, below are my replies to John's much
appreciated thoughts and input:

--- John Vonhof <johnvonhof@comcast.net> wrote:

> 1.  Nowhere was any mention made of socks. The
> thickness of socks, whether
> they are too  thick for the shoes/boots, or too thin
> plays a role in how out
> footwear fits.

Socks: Like shoes I have tried all kinds, all styles,
all materials, all suggestions, all combinations.

I started with thick, fuzzy, pure merino wool Wigwams
that cost more than the shoes I wore on my first
overnighter! Those are still the socks by which I
measure all socks. I loved those socks and I have
never found the same style again!

Since the Merino Wigwams were such a hit with me, I
have invested in several pairs of fuzzy merino wool
socks. I have also tried Thorlos in the walker, hiker,
backpacker, and light hiker models. Thorlos are nifty,
but they mostly lack the fuzzy padding over the
instep. With my high insteps, I like the padding
there.

Then I started hearing many good words regarding
THINNER socks. Tried nylon and polypro socks and
liners. Tries my regular socks with liners. Tried
wearing two pairs of socks. Thick socks, thin socks, a
pair of each... Even tried wearing ladies knee high
nylon stockings per one hiker's suggestion-- bad plan!

I've even tried wearing NO socks. Also not good.

I've even tried friction-free socks that are primarily
marketed to diabetics.

I haven't tried my soft, fuzzy chenille girly socks
(which are so NOT made for hiking, but they are
acrylic and fuzzy and soft so maybe...?) yet, but I
might.

So far, my favorite socks remain cushy merino wool,
with the padding uniform throughout the entire sock.
However, I have to change these regularly and often
because they do get kinda sweaty.

> 2.  Custom insoles/orthotics are a great suggestion
> and one I endorse.

Already mentioned the Lyncos. I'm prepared to see a
podiatrist about custom orthotics-- most likely heel
cushions/cups/pads if personal genius and good advice
fails me.

> 3.  I'd also suggest a gait analysis and foot
> evaluation by a sports
> podiatrist.

If I fork over the money for a podiatrist (I'm one of
those non-insured, self-employed types) you bet I'm
gonna make him do a gait analysis!

> 4.  A good suggestion was made to try different
> lacing techniques.

Already on this one! I have now found a hundred ways
to lace boots. Today I invented the "mock corset lace"
after telling my mom (who is either wonderfully
supportive or incredibly bored to ride along with me
to REI and spend the day lacing and unlacing boots)
that boots should lace like corsets, with two sets of
laces coming from each end and meeting in the middle
for a tighter tie in the middle-- I figured out a way
to sort of mimic that and got an HECKO CRAZY good heel
lock!

> 5.  If there are problems with blisters on the
> heels, try different insoles,
> being careful to watch for how they might change the
> fit. Some insole
> coverings are better than others.

Only time and mileage will tell if I've got good
insoles now. On one hand, hope I do because these were
not cheap for over the counter insoles-- on the other
hand, hope they don't work out cuz these were not
cheap!

> 6.  Ergo patches (http://www.goengo.com) can be
> tried to reduce friction on
> heels and the sides of the foot. These patches go on
> the shoe or insole, not
> on your skin.

I still have to investigate this link. Thanks for
including it!

> 7.  If using a lubricant, try changing to powders.
> Some people's skin get to
> soft and sensitive. Zeasorb is a great powder.

After 4 hours of trying on boots in REI today and 3
hours two weeks ago, I definately think it's possible
that I would be better off trying to keep my feet DRY
with antipersperant/powder than by trying to lubricate
them with something like Bodyglide. I have some Gold
Bond, but can't say if it works or not yet. Will look
into your suggestions too.

> 8.  As someone suggested, toe socks
> (http://www.injinji.com) are great for
> folks prone to toe blisters or with overlapping
> toes.

I took a look at these on their website. I'm not sure
if they will work for me or not. Other toe socks
(primarily made of cotton) are actually terrible
uncomfortable and rub between my toes. However, I have
several pair of chenille toe socks that are
marvelously comfy and warm. Again-- cute, girly socks,
not intended for hiking, but who knows.

> 9.  Custom made shoes may also be worth having made.
> Someone suggested
> http://www.randymerrell.com. Another source that has
> been around for years
> is the Hersey Custom Shoe Company,
> http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/. They
> even have hiking shoes.

I have been looking into this option. I am SO hoping
it doesn't come to this! But I am willing to go for it
if that's the only thing that works.

> Lots on input was given and there should be enough
> content to find a few
> ideas that will help. So, good luck Maggie!

Thank you so much John, and everyone who has replied!
I will update y'all on my experience with the new
Montrails and insoles as soon as I have a chance to
put some trail miles on them!

Maggie