[pct-l] Re:Old Trailwise Bag

--On Sept. 21 mtnned wrote:
  Hey, Wayne!

  You brought back some old and dear memories!  I still have and use a
  Trailwise chevron-stitched down bag that Colin Fletcher recommended and I bought  at
  The Ski Hut in Berkeley in 1973!  Was a four season bag, now a great  3-season
  workhorse for the slender hiker.

  Small World.  I too bought the same bag for the same reason at the same store in 1973.  Mine is blue.  I was just beginning my facination with backpacking  as a squid stationed at the Naval Supply Depot in Oakland, which is now closed down and has become a community park.  At that time Colin Fletcher was the number one backpacking guru, something like Ryan Jordan is today, and I trusted his opinion more than any other.  I still have the bag, and used it for hiking untill recently when I bought an REI Sub Kilo as a replacement.  I have washed the Trailwise bag 3-4 time using the correct down soap and procedure, but the down has become a little clumped and thin in spots, so I now use it only for car camping. I doubt that the Sub Kilo bag will last that long.

  John Coyle