[pct-l] Re: "Delicate Princess Foot Syndrome"

Some of you may recall a thread of several weeks ago that dealt with
Maggie's problem with her "Delicate Princess Foot Syndrome." I cut and
pasted all the emails into a document so I could read them on a recent trip.
There were a lot of very good and thoughtful comments and suggestions. Here
are my observations:

> Maggie wrote: I have been backpacking for 6 years now. The longest I have been
on the trail is all of 4 days. I have yet to make it thru a trip without
mangling my feet.

1.  Nowhere was any mention made of socks. The thickness of socks, whether
they are too  thick for the shoes/boots, or too thin plays a role in how out
footwear fits.
2.  Custom insoles/orthotics are a great suggestion and one I endorse.
3.  I'd also suggest a gait analysis and foot evaluation by a sports
podiatrist.
4.  A good suggestion was made to try different lacing techniques.
5.  If there are problems with blisters on the heels, try different insoles,
being careful to watch for how they might change the fit. Some insole
coverings are better than others.
6.  Ergo patches (http://www.goengo.com) can be tried to reduce friction on
heels and the sides of the foot. These patches go on the shoe or insole, not
on your skin.
7.  If using a lubricant, try changing to powders. Some people's skin get to
soft and sensitive. Zeasorb is a great powder.
8.  As someone suggested, toe socks (http://www.injinji.com) are great for
folks prone to toe blisters or with overlapping toes.
9.  Custom made shoes may also be worth having made. Someone suggested
http://www.randymerrell.com. Another source that has been around for years
is the Hersey Custom Shoe Company, http://www.herseycustomshoe.com/. They
even have hiking shoes.

Lots on input was given and there should be enough content to find a few
ideas that will help. So, good luck Maggie!

John Vonhof
Fixing Your Feet Ezine at: http://www.vonhof.typepad.com/fixingyourfeet
Happy Feet blog: http://www.vonhof.typepad.com/happy_feet/
http://www.footworkpub.com
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes, 3rd edition