[pct-l] RE: GPS Altimeters

GPS on the PCT: Unnecessary.

I carry one, but more for the average speed/mileage/altitude info than
for locations.
I've been considering leaving it home the past few hikes because I now
know that I hike an average 2 MPH with a fully loaded pack on a mountain
trail, 3 MPH with just a day pack. I can monitor progress by glancing at
my wristwatch now. To me, altitude corresponds to how bad I'm sucking
wind... I now know that if I'm really winded, I'm above 10k.

Advantages of barometric altimeter: Weather prediction (see my previous
post on "scariest sounds").

Interesting factoid: GPS  is capable of accuracy within an inch or two
(maybe less, this is "Classified" information). The US government
requires that commercially available GPS units are disabled to provide
no greater than 3 meter accuracy.

I tend to locate myself on a map by knowing what trail I'm on and
finding the corresponding elevation topo line that crosses that trail. I
don't think I've used the long/lat coordinates more than a handful of
times since I got my GPS.

If you must get a GPS, I suggest the smallest, lightest unit: The Garmin
Geko. Has all the functions and capabilities you'd want in a GPS unit,
and is very small and light.
Mine's got just about ALL the functions a GPS could offer and is a
brick: The Garmin Rino.

I once got all 12 satellite bars locked on (WAAS enabled) in Joshua Tree
Nat'l Monument! The accuracy report from the unit was down to 3 feet.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m