[pct-l] Re: BearVault Not Allowed In SEKI

on 9/13/05 11:48 AM, Mark Verber at verber@gmail.com wrote:

> Jon, I question whether the Solo would hold enough food for two people for two
days.
..........I suppose it depends on what you take and how you pack it.  On my
last trip I carried my food for four days.

I understand your point, Mark, it all depends ... my concern is that Jon and
his hiking partner are doing a long trip in a short time, and I was
supposing that they would/should need a passel of calories to do it, in what
will be some mighty cold weather, with the need to carry extra in case bad
weather (e.g. snow) slows them down.  Two 30-some-odd-mile days with a
significant amount of elevation gain in potentially snowy conditions  (did I
calculate the mileage from Onion Valley to Whitney Portal, over Kearsarge
Pass, Forester Pass, and up and down Whitney correctly?) would require more
calories than I would have thought would fit in the Solo.  I'm not making an
authoritative judgment, just posing a caution.  YMMV.

Two Legs