[pct-l] RE: Now:BearVault Not Allowed In SEKI

Sequoia Kings Canyon National Park (SEKI) http://www.nps.gov/seki/

North of Forester Pass to Glen Pass, Vidette Meadow to Roads End. This
is the territory of the bear who's figured out how to pop BearVaults.
Apparently it has learned that by standing on the cans laid sideways,
the plastic deforms and the lid pops off like someone stomping on a can
of tennis balls...
The bear has been using this technique since early August and has popped
over 20 cans (Charlotte Lake Ranger's report). I'll e-mail you a picture
of the notice posted on the PCT/JMT & Vidette Meadow trail junction sign
(and anyone else who wants it, just ask- attachments bounce off the
PCT-L)

Though the NFS has prohibited BearVaults in SEKI, I saw many hikers who
carried them. I probably would have too, if I hadn't specifically asked
the Ranger at Road's End about the Vidette bear. At first he simply
asked if we had "cans". We told him "yeah", and after talking a bit
about the Vidette bear, the Ranger told us about the BearVault
prohibition, upon which I admitted that I was carrying a BearVault. So
he lent us a Garcia can for free (we had to transfer all our stuff from
the BV to the Garcia on the picnic table in front of him).

Because of this one bear, all of SEKI now prohibits the BearVaults
products. That's a chunk of the PCT/JMT from Forester Pass north to Glen
Pass.

Now, most the folks who I saw carrying BearVaults were JMT thru-hikers.
The SEKI Rangers can't control who's carrying what if they enter SEKI
from the trails and not the trailheads.
"SO FAR", the SIBBG hasn't pulled the approval from BearVault. If the
Vidette bear teaches the other bears how to pop the BearVaults   ;)
then BearVault may have a problem on their hands.

The SEKI Rangers currently have no plan on what to do about the Vidette
bear. They won't tag it until at least next season, and probably only if
it resumes it's BearVault popping activates. I talked to several Rangers
last week and they are VERY proud of the effect their bear canister
policy has had on Paradise Valley. They all seem to hold the Garcia cans
in high regard. BearVault products are not only frowned on, they're
prohibited. They feel that if the Vidette bear is denied accessible
BearVaults, it'll either "forget" that canisters are a source of food,
or simply disregard all other cans other than BearVaults.

Also-

There are many variations of the story about the hiker who got swiped by
the Vidette bear. The general consensus of the SEKI Rangers is that the
Vidette bear is not aggressive. On this incident, both hiker and bear
startled each other in the dark and the bear went into defense mode. If
anyone out there on The List has a contact of the hiker who was injured,
I'd love to hear their side of the story.

All instances where this bear has popped BearVaults (and tow Bearikades)
have been in the middle of the night, away from the sleeping hikers.
This bear has not attempted to approach hikers and attempt to get their
cans. For this reason, SEKI Rangers are not inclined to relocate, or
worse, destroy the animal.

If you want first hand information on the Vidette bear and/or the
prohibition on BearVaults in SEKI, you can call the Cedar Grove
Visitor's Center at (559) 565-3793.

Michael Saenz, Associate Partner
McLarand    Vasquez    Emsiek   &   Partners,   Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e  |  P l a n n i n g  |  I n t e r i o r s
MVE       MVE    Institutional       MVP    International
w  w  w   .   m  v  e   -   a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s   .   c  o m